Please review the following information carefully before submitting your application for a DRCLAS Summer Program. Please note: students are allowed to apply to up to three DRCLAS programs, and should do so using one application only.
Applicants will receive notification from each program regarding acceptance on March 1, 2020.
Harvard College & Graduate students* will apply using CARAT* (Centralized Application for Research and Travel). Please follow the guidelines in this document to answer frequently asked questions regarding the CARAT application. *See application exceptions below.
You will be asked to upload the following documents/information to CARAT:
- 2019 DRCLAS Summer Supplemental Coversheet (includes contact information for verbal reference, requires passport information)
- Your personal statement (In English, view prompt in the coversheet)
- Your current & relevant resume
- Your current unofficial transcript (From January/February 2020. This is for proof of Spring Semester enrollment, it should include Fall 2019 grades and course selections for Spring 2020).
After you submit your application, please sign-up for an in-person interview during mid February. Final dates are forthcoming. (Interviews will be conducted in Spanish or Portuguese, unless otherwise noted.)
Questions? Please contact Rachel Murray-Crawford.
- Undergraduate students applying to a co-sponsored internship will apply through the regular SIP application and mark their IOP and/or HBS preference on the Supplemental form
- Students applying to COLMEX Study Abroad 8-week Program should fill out a separate funding form through OCS, specific to Study Abroad
- References are not required to write a letter of recommendation. They must be Harvard-affiliates and will be contacted by phone/email by DRCLAS as needed
Important Interview Notes:
• Students do not receive confirmations for interviews- please record your interview date(s)/time(s) accordingly.
• Interviews will be held during mid February at the DRCLAS Cambridge office in the Center for Government and International Studies (CGIS) at 1730 Cambridge St., 2nd floor.
• Interviews will last ~20 minutes, and will be conducted in the language of the program you are applying to (Spanish or Portuguese) unless noted otherwise.
• If you are applying to multiple SIP programs, you may be interviewed by more than one member of the DRCLAS staff at the same time.
• Please note that if you applied to multiple programs, you must sign up for a slot for all the programs you applied, as per the instructions below.
• Brazil Applicants (Includes HBS placements & requires individual interview):
• SIP Argentina, Chile & Mexico Applicants (Includes IOP & HBS placements. Please schedule only one interview for any/all of these programs. You will interview with multiple program managers at once):
• Colegio de México Applicants (requires individual interview):
Funding decisions will be sent via email by April 1.
Important Funding Information:
• Undergraduate students who are in good standing, complete the spring semester, and are returning for the fall semester as full-time students are eligible for funding through the Office of Career Services (OCS). No separate application for this funding is required.
• All students that are not eligible for OCS funding may still be eligible for DRCLAS funding, which requires no additional application. This includes graduate students.
• If you are currently on a Leave of Absence and are NOT studying abroad for transfer credit, you are not eligible to participate in a DRCLAS Summer Program or receive funding from DRCLAS.
• All students must be in good academic standing at time of participation in a DRCLAS program.
• Graduating students may apply for a DRCLAS program, though funding is not guaranteed.