Travel Regulations

U.S. Government Regulations

To be eligible for travel to Cuba for educational activities under the OFAC regulations and with the University’s sponsorship, undergraduate students must fall into at least one of the following two categories:

• students who are participating in a "structured educational program" in Cuba as part of a course offered for credit by Harvard. This means either (1) a group of students currently enrolled in a Harvard course who travel to Cuba to engage in meetings, attend lectures or performances, conduct interviews, visit museums and archives, or pursue other learning experiences as part of that course; or (2) individual students who are engaged in a research project as part of their Honors Thesis or another Harvard course in which they are currently enrolled or will be enrolled after returning from Cuba; 

• students who enroll in formal courses of instruction at a Cuban academic institution, provided that they are eligible to receive Harvard College credit for those courses (requires formal approval from the Office of International Programs [OIP]).

Academic Visa

The University of Havana will arrange visas that will be collected from the Cuban Interests Section in Washington D.C. by the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University.

Students who will be taking courses and conducting research in Cuba will need to apply for an academic visa from the Cuban Government. The University of Havana arranges for academic visas from the Cuban Government once the following documentation has been submitted in full to the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies (DRCLAS), the Cuban Interests Section in Washington D.C. and the University of Havana:

* Copy of front page of passport
* Date and place of birth
* Date and place of passport issuance
* Date of passport expiration
* Dates of travel