Wednesday, April 17th, Room 121, Gund Hall: Lessons from Oaxaca & Chile
6:00-6:20pm - Welcome
- GSD students' work on reconstruction in Oaxaca
- Recupera Chile graphic material: videos and photos
- Winners from the Resilient Homes Challenge (RHC) competitions run by Building Academy and the World Bank
6:20-6:30 pm – Thinking Beyond Reconstruction
- Welcoming remarks and introduction to the conceptual frameworks behind the GSD and Recupera Chile research and projects, Diane E. Davis, GSD
Refreshments will be served.
6:30-7:20 pm – The Isthmus of Tehuantepec: Three Research Approaches to Post-Disaster Opportunities.
- GSD students present research and recommendations for the state of Oaxaca in the context of seismic disaster following the 2017 events.
- Framing the Fault Lines: Fragmentation in Oaxaca’s Disaster Preparation and Response, Amaya Bravo-France / Evita Chavez / Sydney Pedigo
- Embracing the Wind: A Strategy for Community Wind Generation in the Isthmus, Rian Rooney / Enrique Aureng Silva
- Disaster as Opportunity: Alternatives for Debris Management at Las Nutrias Riverbank, Amaya Bravo-France / Evita Chavez / Sydney Pedigo
7:20- 8:10 pm - Recupera Chile: A Survey of Disaster Response and Recovery Efforts in Southern Chile
- Throughout the last 8 years of recovery, Recupera Chile has addressed a range of issues including technical assistance, livelihood restoration, capacity building, community mental health, early childhood education, cultural heritage restoration, and infrastructure reconstruction based in the three communities of Cobquecura, Dichato and Perales, near the epicenter of the 2010 earthquake and tsunami.
- Responding to 27F Chile Earthquake and Tsunami, Pablo Allard, RFK Professor GSD, Universidad del Desarrollo
- Integrated Disaster Recovery Approach, Recupera Chile (2011-2019), Doug Ahlers, HKS
- Heritage Preservation as part of Recovery, Recupera Chile (2011-2019), Iván Cartes, UBB, Chile
- Moderator: Judith Palfrey, HMS
8:10-8:40pm - Q&A/Final thoughts
- Joined by Doug Ahlers, Elisa Silva, Diane Davis, Marianne Potvin
8:40-9:00pm - Evening Reception
- Celebration of adoption of Harvard’s Recupera Chile initiative by the Universidad del Desarrollo in Concepción. Acknowledgements and toast by Marcela Rentería, Executive Director of the DRCLAS Regional Office, Dough Ahlers, HKS, and Pablo Allard, UDD. Food and wine served.